Monday, January 14, 2008

Da Big Kahuna

During lunch today I went to "Da Big Kahuna" , at 550 Paiea St 134, Honolulu, HI 96819. It's a nice little place with a sort of surfer chic decor. There are surfboards along one wall and several pictures of Duke Kahanamoku, the world famous surfer from here in Honolulu. The place was quite packed and all of the five tables were full. We managed to grab a barstool against the wall which is not where I like to sit when I eat but it was the only place to sit.
I ordered the 6" Haole pizza (ham, pineapple, and green peppers) at the counter and was told that they were out of the small size but I could order the larger pizza. I didn't understand this since the pizza is made when I order it, but went ahead and got one because I was quite hungry. I finished up with a coke ( one size only ) and an order of the wedding cake.
Since the wait for the food was so long my friends were given an order of the garlic cheese balls which were amazing. After extensive research I found that the yummy little treats are baked in butter, garlic and olive oil, and topped with a five cheese blend. Although the cheese balls helped with my one and a half hour wait, I was starved by the time my pizza got to me (in a to go box since I needed to get back to work).
I did have the pizza later that night and as everyone knows, reheated pizza isn't as good as when it originally comes out of the oven. It was still pretty tasty though. The wedding cake was so sinful.
I must say in the words of my Hawaiian friends....Da Big Kahuna is 'ono.

No comments: